Title image

Friday, February 24, 2006

Can we safeguard abortion?

posted by bitchphd
By which I mean, if not legal, can it be safe? It's been done before.

Some links:

1. Illegal abortions, now and in the present. The point is, even with Roe still on the books, it's already been whittled away for a lot of women.

2. Interesting post on the language of the argument. For what it's worth, I agree: "partial-birth abortion" is a meaningless and loaded phrase, and we ought not use it.

3. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: everyone interested in what's to come (and in many cases, already here), should read The Story of Jane: The Legendary Underground Feminist Abortion Service.

4. Herbal abortions and How to induce a miscarriage. Obviously, I'm not a doctor. And I can't vouch for the reliability or safety of the methods described in these links.

5. How to use your regular b.c. pills for emergency contraception (scroll down a bit). See also this site.

6. See also Scott and Digby, and Firedoglake on the South Dakota law, specifically.

Update: On the dangers of herbal abortion, be sure and see this post. The same blogger explains how to do a d&c, and offers her thoughts on illegal abortion, and some specifics about what we can do to start organizing to help. She calls her blog Molly Saves the Day, and I think it's an apropos title. She promises to keep blogging about abortion how tos: I suggest bookmarking her, and returning often. As per the third post I've linked from her, I'll announce that I have a source for out-of-country Plan B, and I'm willing to provide it to those who need it.

Second update: Ema, who is an actual ob/gyn, also has a very interesting and informative post about surgical abortion.

Thursday 2 March update: Flea at One Good Thing links to The Roe Depot, an (apparently new) discussion forum for reproductive health. It has special forums for "those needing help," "those offering help," state-by-state (and international) forums, contraceptive methods, herbalism, and so on. If it takes off, could be a fabulous resource, well worth a permanent main-page link. I'll keep an eye on it.

Also, welcome Boing-Boing readers! I imagine the sitemeter stats for today will be fun.
I support Health Care for America Now

Comments are great; obnoxious comments get deleted. Deal.

We are legion
contact Bitch PhD
contact M. LeBlanc
contact Ding
contact Sybil Vane
contact Taddyporter

Need emergency contraception? Click here or here.

money to burn?

Wacoal bras & lingerie

Or, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket, here's Bitch PhD's
Amazon Wish List
(If you'd rather send swag to LeBlanc or Sybil or Ding or Taddy, email them and bug them about setting up their own begging baskets.)

Welcome New Readers
So Wait, You Have a Boyfriend???
Ultimate Bra Post part I
Ultimate Bra Post part II Abortion
Planned Parenthood
Do You Trust Women?
Feminisms (including my own)
Feminism 101 (why children are not a lifestyle choice)
Misogyny In Real Life (be sure and check out the comment thread)
Moms At Work--Over There
Professor Mama
My Other Mom
Moms in the Academy
About the Banner Picture