Title image

Friday, July 08, 2005

This right here is why I don't blog under my real name

posted by bitchphd
Shorter Chronicle of Higher Ed: blogging is dangerous because hiring committees are paranoid, conservative, and illogical. Even if you are not indiscreet on your blog, you could become so--but if you don't have a blog, you couldn't possibly start one and therefore never be indiscreet.* Publishing pseudonymous articles about your search committee deliberations in the Chronicle of Higher Ed, though, is not indiscreet.

Also, we don't want to work with people who get frustrated by traffic or who are in any way anxious or neurotic because of course we are all paragons of mental health, and it isn't in any way discriminatory to decide not to hire someone because you think they need therapy.

*Note to the Chronicle: I didn't start my blog until a couple of years after I started my job. Funny how academic types try new things once in a while. I also feel the need to point out that, practically speaking, the Chronicle article is probably right; but the smug little tone of "all those bloggers are neurotic freaks, says the pseudonymous and gossipy first-person author" just chaps my hide.
I support Health Care for America Now

Comments are great; obnoxious comments get deleted. Deal.

We are legion
contact Bitch PhD
contact M. LeBlanc
contact Ding
contact Sybil Vane
contact Taddyporter

Need emergency contraception? Click here or here.

money to burn?

Wacoal bras & lingerie

Or, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket, here's Bitch PhD's
Amazon Wish List
(If you'd rather send swag to LeBlanc or Sybil or Ding or Taddy, email them and bug them about setting up their own begging baskets.)

Welcome New Readers
So Wait, You Have a Boyfriend???
Ultimate Bra Post part I
Ultimate Bra Post part II Abortion
Planned Parenthood
Do You Trust Women?
Feminisms (including my own)
Feminism 101 (why children are not a lifestyle choice)
Misogyny In Real Life (be sure and check out the comment thread)
Moms At Work--Over There
Professor Mama
My Other Mom
Moms in the Academy
About the Banner Picture