Title image

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

If I want to be preached at, I'll go to church. If I'm in a pharmacy, what I want is my prescription filled.


posted by bitchphd
I've blogged on the issue of pharmacists who refuse to fill prescriptions before; now there's a WaPo article that gives me an opportunity to do so again.

"He's a devout Roman Catholic and believes participating in any action that inhibits or prohibits human life is a sin," said Aden of the Christian Legal Society. "The rights of pharmacists like him should be respected."

Yeah? What about my right to fill my goddamn prescription?

If you have a problem providing health care to anyone, on moral grounds, then do something else for a living.

Wisconsin is one of at least 11 states considering "conscience clause" laws that would protect pharmacists [who refuse to do their jobs]. Four states already have laws that specifically allow pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions that violate their beliefs.

Maybe while we're at it, we can grant to admissions officers and professors at medical and pharmacy schools the right to refuse to admit or teach religious fanatics. I demand the right to refuse to teach students who hold views that violate my ethical beliefs. No conservatives, no anti-feminists, and no anti-abortion students in my classroom.*

Brauer, of Pharmacists for Life, defends the right of pharmacists not only to decline to fill prescriptions themselves but also to refuse to refer customers elsewhere or transfer prescriptions.

"That's like saying, 'I don't kill people myself but let me tell you about the guy down the street who does.' What's that saying? 'I will not off your husband, but I know a buddy who will?' It's the same thing," said Brauer, who now works at a hospital pharmacy.


Whatever hospital employs this woman needs to fire her, now.

How about that Hippocratic Oath?

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required. . . . I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being. . . . I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings. . . .May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.



*This is not true. Unlike some assholes, I have a sense of obligation to my chosen profession, which means that I teach everyone who walks in the door of my classroom, no matter what that dumbass David Horowitz thinks. But I am serious that medical and pharmacy schools ought not to admit students who have "ethical" objections to practicing the profession they are choosing to follow.
I support Health Care for America Now

Comments are great; obnoxious comments get deleted. Deal.

We are legion
contact Bitch PhD
contact M. LeBlanc
contact Ding
contact Sybil Vane
contact Taddyporter




Need emergency contraception? Click here or here.


money to burn?


Wacoal bras & lingerie

Or, if your money is burning a hole in your pocket, here's Bitch PhD's
Amazon Wish List
(If you'd rather send swag to LeBlanc or Sybil or Ding or Taddy, email them and bug them about setting up their own begging baskets.)


Welcome New Readers
So Wait, You Have a Boyfriend???
Ultimate Bra Post part I
Ultimate Bra Post part II Abortion
Planned Parenthood
Do You Trust Women?
Feminisms (including my own)
Feminism 101 (why children are not a lifestyle choice)
Misogyny In Real Life (be sure and check out the comment thread)
Moms At Work--Over There
Professor Mama
My Other Mom
Moms in the Academy
About the Banner Picture



Archives